Sunday, November 23, 2008

My dad used to tell me a(n often told) story about a clown shoveling shit after the circus.

A guy walks up to the clown and says, "Why do you do it?" to which the clown responds, "What, and give up showbusiness?"

I oft think of this story when I am doing shitty jobs in the theatre.

I turned on the TV last week to watch my friend, who is a Rockette, perform on the on the Today Show. (I'm sure I have a problem with the sexist nature of the Rockettes but I can't take on everyone right now.)

While waiting to see my friend, I stumbled upon the idiotic (4th) hour of the Today Show.

It's clearly targeted to women who aren't working and can't talk about anything intelligible or intelligent.

It's hosted by Kathie Lee and Hoda Kotb, (a woman whose name I did not know until now after I googled her so I could write this blog). Hoda seemed very sharp and articulate.

Kathie Lee was a hot mess, but that goes without saying.

They did, however, bring on an accomplished (black, though it doesn't affect this story) woman doctor, Dr. Jennifer H. Mieres, who is the head of cardiology at NYU and the spokesperson for the Go Red Movement for Awareness of Women's Heart Disease. She was talking about how to identify heart disease early in women. She told the story of a woman whose doctor misdiagnosed her and spoke about the things to do to prevent this from happening.

And then Kathie Lee complimented her on her shoes and socks, calling her "One sexy doctor."



Why do we do these things? Why must we undercut ourselves when we're doing well?

It's not just women; men can be simple as well, certainly. I once dated a guy who knew every Chicago Bears play from 1985-1998. Useless.

But if women say smart things, can't we just let it be?

Yes, Michelle Obama dresses fierce. But she's also brilliant. Can't we listen to her talk instead of talking about what she looks like?

I think we need to shift the dialogue, ladies. Re-prioritize if we are to progress.

Back to Hoda. So apparently she started out as a Dateline correspondent and before that, worked for CBS in Cairo, Egypt.

But today on Today, Hoda is going to get a bird-poo facial.

That's right. Shit on her face.





I turned off the TV, discouraged.

IS THAT ALL THERE IS?

Flash forward to today--I'm getting a ghetto manicure/pedicure and I think I recognize a woman about to get a massage. I recognize the voice. It's Hoda.

I have to ask.

"I have to ask, are you on the Today Show?"

"Yes."

"Ok, because I think I saw you getting a bird-poo facial?"

"Ugh yes, that was me."

"How'd that work out for you?"

"I don't know, I took it off five seconds later."

"Yeah, I was gagging."

"They were saying it was from some fancy bird--"

"Right, some Japanese bird--"

"But basically it's piegon poo. It costs like $500.00"




What, and give up journalism?

1 comment:

thejollyraja said...

First off, I like the blog overall. But I'm curious: why do you think that we *can't* talk about the fact that a brilliant woman dresses fiercely? I mean, I could listen to Michelle Obama talk literally 24/7 and be enthralled the whole time. But to me, Michelle is so smart, compassionate, and articulate that the fact that she's a snappy dresser (as well as bring drop dead gorgeous) is totally irrelevant.

Speaking as a feminist, I think that the biggest sign that progress is not happening like it should is the fact that if we're listening to a smart woman speak, we feel like we can *only* listen to her ideas. JFK was a dreamboat, and that was fine! He didn't have to shy away from his hunkiness to make people listen to what he had to say. Therefore, why do women have to shy away from that which makes them "conventionally" feminine?